Pine Tree Veterinary Hospital opened its doors on April 19, 1951. The practice was started by F. Langdon Davis and his wife, Jeanne. It began as a mixed animal practice taking care of both small and large animals. The hospital became certified by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) in 1956 and has continued to be certified since that time (66 years!). The accreditation process, which occurs every three years, ensures that your pet is receiving the most up-to-date surgical, medical, and patient care.
Dr. Frank S Hersom (Mike) joined the practice in 1957 after completing duty as a naval pilot. Mike and Langdon practiced together for close to 30 years with various associates. In 1964, they built the hospital as it now stands. Dr. Langdon Davis was heavily involved with the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), serving on various councils and committees and also on the board of directors representing New England and New York. He initiated tattooing of neutered animals to make it easier to identify that a patient has been neutered. This is now a national standard.
Dr. Davis and his wife, Jeanne, donated land to the Kennebec Valley Humane Society, which services the area to find new homes for stray and unwanted pets. They also donated the land for the Children’s Center and the Youth Memorial Park.
Their son, Dr. Peter Davis, joined the practice in 1982 and became a partner soon after. In 1998, he became the sole owner. He continues to practice and currently has two associates, Dr. Samantha Hodgkins and Dr. Amber Hathaway.
Pine Tree prides itself in innovation and continuing education. Throughout the years, Pine Tree has participated in many FDA regulated clinical trials, assisting with bringing several important medications to market including the antibiotics Zeniquin and Convenia, the pain medication Rimadyl, and the flea/tick preventative Bravecto.